Zucchini Quinoa Tacos
Plant based, Dairy-free, Vegan
Without meat sometimes, its hard to feel as if it's a real taco. However, with this particular recipe, I didn't miss having meat at all! Bursting with flavor, this quinoa taco is a great way to stay on a plant based diet while satisfying that need for something warm and comforting.
Makes about 6 to 8 tacos
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of fresh garlic, pressed or finely chopped
2 zucchini, diced
8 oz sliced shiitake mushrooms, rinsed well and dried off.
2 small to medium kale stalks, destemmed and chopped finely
2 ½ cups of cooked quinoa
1 lg carrot grated
Roughly 2 cups purple cabbage, sliced very thin
⅓ Cup of water
1 container of guacamole of choice
Siete taco seasoning (Or taco seasoning of choice)
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons Olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
¼ cup white wine (optional)
1 bag of frozen roasted corn
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Add oil to skillet and saute onions on medium until translucent then add mushrooms, stirring frequently. After about five minutes or so, add in your fresh garlic, stirring well to keep from sticking. Cook until both the onions and mushrooms are done to your liking and softened.
2. Stir in your taco seasoning well and then add your water, stirring constantly until the liquid has thickened. About 2 or 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
3. In the meantime, in a bowl, combine cabbage, carrot, the juice of half a lime, kale, and cilantro. Set aside.
3. Add zucchini into the skillet along with the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, combining before deglazing the pan with white wine, stirring frequently. Cook for about 5 minutes, until desired doneness and juice forms a nice sauce.
4. Remove from pan and combine the zucchini, mushroom mixture, mixing together and taste to see if more salt needs to be added.
5. Mix zucchini-mushroom mixture with cooked quinoa and set aside.
6. Heat roasted corn and corn tortillas separately and assemble tortillas. First the mushroom mixture, then corn, cabbage mixture, and top with guacamole. Top with squeezed lime juice (optional)